The government has announced a temporary breakthrough in talks with public transport sector stakeholders following nationwide concerns over rising fuel prices.
In a statement issued by the Ministry of Interior and National Administration on Tuesday, the government confirmed that transport operators had agreed to suspend the planned strike for one week to pave the way for further negotiations.
The ministry said the move followed a meeting between government officials and representatives from the transport sector aimed at finding a lasting solution to the fuel crisis.

Government Announces Fresh Measures
According to the ministry, the government acknowledged the burden Kenyans are facing due to the sharp rise in global fuel prices linked to the ongoing Middle East crisis.
“The Government appreciates the challenges faced by Kenyans as a result of the rising global fuel prices occasioned by the Middle East crisis,” the statement read.
The ministry noted that the government had already reduced VAT on petroleum products by eight percent and utilized the Petroleum Development Levy to stabilize prices.
It added that further interventions had been introduced, including a reduction of diesel prices by KSh10 per litre.
“Despite these interventions, the prices still remained high. Consequently, the Government last night took additional measures to remedy the situation by reducing the price of diesel by KSh10 per litre,” the statement added.

Strike Suspended for One Week
The Interior Ministry confirmed that both parties agreed to continue consultations while transport operators suspend industrial action temporarily.
“Following a meeting this morning between the Government and representatives of public sector stakeholders, we agreed that there was need for further negotiations between the Government and the stakeholders,” the statement said.
The ministry further announced: “The strike is suspended for one week to give room for the negotiations.”
Public transport stakeholders also condemned violence and destruction witnessed during demonstrations held in parts of the country on Monday.
Wandayi Welcomes Dialogue
Energy and Petroleum Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi welcomed the outcome of the talks, describing the discussions as constructive and focused on protecting livelihoods and economic stability.
“We have white smoke,” Wandayi said after the meeting.
“This afternoon, together with fellow Hon. Kipchumba Murkomen, Cabinet Secretary for Interior and National Administration, we held constructive consultations with representatives of the transport sector on the prevailing fuel prices and the need to avert the planned demonstrations.”
Wandayi said the discussions were guided by the need to safeguard the economy while ensuring the transport sector continues operating smoothly.
“The discussions were cordial, solution-oriented, and guided by our shared commitment to safeguarding economic stability and protecting the livelihoods of millions of Kenyans who depend on an efficient transport sector,” he stated.
Govt Promises Continued Engagement
The government reiterated its commitment to dialogue and peaceful engagement in addressing public concerns over the rising cost of living.
“The Government remains fully committed to addressing concerns raised by Kenyans at all times and calls for peaceful and legal means of airing grievances,” the Interior Ministry said.
Wandayi also assured Kenyans that consultations with stakeholders would continue as the government seeks sustainable solutions to stabilize fuel prices.
“Government of Kenya will continue engaging all relevant stakeholders in pursuit of sustainable solutions that ensure stability, dialogue, and the smooth functioning of the economy for the benefit of all Kenyans,” he said.
