More Kenyans evacuated from South Africa as anti-migrant protests intensify

Date:

Kenya has intensified efforts to evacuate its citizens from South Africa following a surge in anti-migrant protests that have spread across several major cities.

Authorities confirmed that an additional group of Kenyan nationals is expected to arrive in Nairobi, adding to those already repatriated in recent days as security concerns continue to mount.

Over 2,500 immigrants repatriated

South African authorities say more than 2,500 immigrants have now been repatriated as part of an ongoing crackdown linked to the nationwide demonstrations.

Police reported that over 900 people were arrested during Tuesday’s protests, which saw incidents of looting, public disorder, and attacks on businesses in some areas.

While officials indicated that the majority of the demonstrations remained peaceful, security forces intervened in several locations where violence erupted.

Additional Kenyans arrive home

Officials from Kenya’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs received several groups of evacuees at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport on Tuesday.

The returnees included children, vulnerable individuals, and other Kenyan nationals who opted to leave South Africa amid the escalating tensions.

According to the State Department for Diaspora Affairs, more than 200 Kenyans have so far expressed interest in returning home.

Emergency travel documents issued

Principal Secretary for Diaspora Affairs Roseline Njogu said the government had facilitated travel documentation for citizens who lacked valid passports.

“Anybody who did not have a passport or whose passport had expired has been issued with an emergency travel certificate through the Kenya High Commission in Pretoria to enable them return home,” Njogu said.

Protests continue across South Africa

In South Africa, police said the arrests involved both undocumented migrants accused of immigration offences and suspects linked to public violence, robbery, and the harbouring of illegal immigrants.

Security has since been reinforced in several identified hotspots, including Johannesburg’s Hillbrow district.

The demonstrations follow months of growing anti-foreigner sentiment that has displaced thousands of migrants and prompted many to seek safer locations.

Protest leaders vow further action

Organisers of the anti-migrant movement have announced plans for additional demonstrations targeting major commercial centres across South Africa.

The groups are demanding stricter enforcement of immigration laws, mass deportations of undocumented migrants, and tighter workplace hiring regulations.

They have reportedly given the South African government six months to implement the measures, indicating that the protests are likely to continue in the coming months.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

LATEST

More like this
Related

National Lottery Board unveils consortium to guide Kenya’s first-ever National Lottery

The National Lottery Board today announced the appointment of...

Kericho SGR station location, route and expected benefits

Kenya Railways has confirmed Tiriitab-Moita in Bureti Sub-County as...

Safaricom adds Fuliza to M-Pesa GlobalPay for online payments

Safaricom has integrated its Fuliza overdraft service into the...

Daystar University offers fully funded economics scholarships to EAC nationals

Daystar University, in partnership with the Inter-University Council of...